[rescue] Bookmark management [was: O/S for 133/150mhz laptops???]

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Jul 22 11:00:53 CDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 11:24:52AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 20 Jul 2006 @ 15:16 -0500, Michael Parson said:
>> Pick the box you're going to start with, probably the one with the most
>> bookmarks on it.  Install Google Browser sync on it, restart firefox and
>> let the initial sync happen.
>
> If you re-arrange your bookmarks on one system, like organization work
> for example, will it sync that?
>
> I usually save bookmarks in a single temp folder, and then gradually
> organize them.
>
> It would be nice if browser sync would handle incremental changes like
> that gracefully, including creation, deletion, and moving of
> hierarchies.
>
> Or should you do *everything* regarding organization first?

I've not sniffed the wire to watch everything going on while it's doing
it's thing, but my Mac is just slow enough that I can watch the status
messages, though they are not very meaningful.

When you re-arrange the bookmarks on one system, once synced, any other
system will have the same arrangement.

It seems to sync some of the stuff in real time, as you do it.  Other stuff
gets handled in batch at the end of the session.

One caveat:  To keep things clean, you really should only have one copy
of firefox running on one system at a time.  If another browser logs in
with the same credentials, you'll get logged off of the earlier one, and
any further changes will not get synced back, unless you re-log in and
bump the second one off.  Did that make sense?

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org