[rescue] Bookmark management [was: O/S for 133/150mhz laptops???]

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Jul 20 15:16:25 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 03:21:59PM -0400, velociraptor wrote:

> On 7/20/06, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>wrote:
>
>> There are a few that do the tabbed saving stuff.  I used to use
>> "sessionsaver" but have since moved to using "Google Browser Sync"
>> which gives me the functionality that the old Netscape Roaming
>> Profiles gave me (sync bookmarks, preferences, etc between multiple
>> computers).
>
> [...]
>
>> All but the Google Browser Sync extention can be found on the
>> addons.mozilla.org site.
>
> I hadn't looked at this, but am doing so now.
>
> Does anyone know of a tool that can assist with checking bookmarks,
> delete dupilicates, etc.--I guess "merge" (for lack of a better term)
> bookmark files?  I have been trying to get my book marks under control
> from all the various and sundry computers and get them unified.

Merging is a tough one.

Now that I've been down this path, what I should have done, and would
recommend is:

Pick the box you're going to start with, probably the one with the most
bookmarks on it.  Install Google Browser sync on it, restart firefox and
let the initial sync happen.

On the other boxes, before you install the extension, export the
bookmarks, then install the extention and let it do it's sync.  After
the restart and sync, import the bookmarks, restart firefox, let the
changes sync back to the server.  Do them one at a time.

This gets you through the merge point, but the duplicate checking will
be harder, might have to sort the whole list and do a visual inspection
for dupes.

> Everything I've found thus far appears to be Windows based, which I'd
> obviously prefer to avoid.

Or find one windows box you can install firefox and the extension on,
clean up the bookmarks there, then sync them all back.  Then go drink
heavily till you no longer remember that you had to put yourself through
the experience..

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org