[rescue] How to move an IBM SP using a minivan..

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Wed Jul 19 15:23:36 CDT 2006

   On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Francois Dion wrote:

> If you think about it, a minivan is designed to move 8
> adults + stuff.  Assuming 200-250lbs per person, that is
> definitely more than that server. 7 or 8 seater wagons
> tend to make good haulers too.

   I'll second that one.  I "collected" a PDP8/I and an Interdata
Model 4 from Iowa one time, along with software and full doco, and
drove it back to Massachusetts in my old Grand Voyager.  The rear
hatch closed quite neatly behind the two six-foot racks.  The doco
and assorted other stuff rode loose atop the machines (on their
backs, casters towards the rear).

   This is also the same way I moved my complete Nova 840 system
(two 6'4" racks + disks + doco) from where I acquired it to my
grandparents' place (where it resided until I moved it to RCS/RI
in Providence); it moved easier in my minivan than in the box truck
I rented when it became apparent that I had to "rescue" it again.