[rescue] How to move an IBM SP using a minivan..

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jul 19 02:01:48 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 01:49, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> >> I once moved a VAX 6000-620 (!)
> >
> > It doesn't count unless you fit the actual rack into your car. :)
>
> I fit the actual rack in my car.

So, I guess it disassembles somehow?  Though, as I've leared from a
friend, anything disassembles with a cut-off wheel (or its bigger
friend, the concrete saw).

And by "in" I mean with all the doors, windows, trunk, and hood closed,
with 100% of the rack inside the car.

When I had a Camry (glad I've got a different new car... and a
boxtruck), I'd stuffed that thing completely full many times.  I even
toted a non-disassembled TU81+ 1/2way in the trunk (resting on the back
bumper) of the car...  the left and right side panels of the trunk of
the car had many outward-pointing dents to prove its use.  In fact, at
one point I needed to haul a couple of (empty) pallets for work... and
came up with this solution:
http://computer-refuge.org/car_pallet/
I didn't have a ratchet strap, so the thing holding the pallets in
place, and the trunk from bouncing is a carefully manipulated IEC-320
computer power cord.

The biggest (length, not volume) thing I've carried in my MINI is a
disassembled 2-post rack... I came close to moving an E450 in the back
once; that would have come close to completely filling my trunk/back
seat.  Of course, since I've got the box truck, I try very hard to not
load things into my precious new car that could damage it. :)

Pat
--
Purdue University Research Computing --  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcac

--