[rescue] O/S for 133/150mhz laptops???

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Jul 18 14:33:48 CDT 2006

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
"
" >From: Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at gmail.com>
"
" >I would recommend you Opera. It flies on older boxen.
"
"
"
" Anyway, I like Opera and I recommend it as well.

i had an old opera back when i was running 2.6; it was the only tabbed
browser practical on my system, but i had to cheat as it was compiled
for s7.  every now and then it crashed, but that seemed to get better
as 2.6 patches caught up with 7 features...

netscape 4.7x ran of course, but slowly when you wanted to fork a new
window.  mozilla [1.1 iirc] ran so slow, the first time i launched it
i thought it'd locked my system.  it was a mind-boggling memory pig
too [probably why it was slow]; firefox as it is now would probably be
quite acceptable on my old 128M ss2-weitek.

i have opera 9 on my s8 box now, but it won't run - complains
ld.so.1: opera: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/lib/opera/9.0-20060616.2/opera: symbol
static_QUType_varptr: referenced symbol not found
EXITVAL = 9; ERRNO = 2
i'm up to date as of may with patches.  what am i missing?
ps. in the ranks of the lightweight flyers, i'm still running openwin
- though with dtterms.