[rescue] O/S for 133/150mhz laptops???

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 18 14:13:40 CDT 2006

>From: Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at gmail.com>
>Date: 2006/07/18 Tue AM 09:17:55 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] O/S for 133/150mhz laptops???

>I would recommend you Opera. It flies on older boxen.

I had my desktop windows machine get infected last week with something - can't open a browser without pop-ups - so I built up a new box to tide me over until I get the time to carefully extract my files from that machine. I viewed it as an opportunity to try different software, one of which was Opera 9 (now free - last time I looked there was a free version, but that was a long time ago - about a hundred years in Internet Time). Anyway, it's quite nice actually, esp. the handy "new tab" button in the upper left corner of the screen (I keep about 5-8 windows open at a time).

The only wonky thing is that I haven't mastered the plug-ins for various file formats (Flash in particular)   - I'm sure there's an answer to my problems, but it hasn't been important enough for me to address it seriously (yet)- PDFs work fine, and that is 80% of my need right there.

Anyway, I like Opera and I recommend it as well.

Lionel