[rescue] Hardware failure

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sat Jul 15 17:51:36 CDT 2006

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> The dead CPU is an Athlon 1200 Tbird.  The motherboard will accept
> anything from a Duron 600 to an Athlon XP 1800+ Palomino, 200MHz or
> 266MHz FSB, Socket A.  Anyone have a compatible Athlon XP lying
> around spare, by any chance...?  (I theoretically have a spare XP
> 1700+ around here someplace, but I haven't the faintest idea where.)
> For that matter, babylon5 currently has an XP1800+ and will accept up
> to at least a 2400+, so long as it's 266MHz FSB, so I could "push
> down" if I put a faster CPU in babylon5.

I have several Athlon 1400 "Thunderbird" CPUs you can have if you want
one.  Not quite what you're looking for, but...

> I was looking around for replacement motherboard/CPU combos and found
> that there's rather little AthlonXP hardware still on the market.
> It seems it's almost all Athlon64 now, but what really surprised me
> was that the remaining few AthlonXP bundles I managed to find were
> actually more expensive than Athlon64 bundles at the same speed.
>
> Signs of the times, I guess.

It's one of the reasons why AMD CPUs didn't take off in servers until
recently... the platform stability sucks.  I mean, I can still find a
good - new! - motherboard for a 4-year-old P4.

But a Socket A system?  Forget about it.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com