[rescue] Hardware failure

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Jul 15 16:20:32 CDT 2006

Had a hardware failure on Cymru's machine.  Did some diagnosis, which
narrowed it down to motherboard or CPU.  I swapped iun an old dpare
Duron 650, and to my surprise, it turned out to be the CPU this time,
instead of the third MSI motherboard failure in a row.

The dead CPU is an Athlon 1200 Tbird.  The motherboard will accept
anything from a Duron 600 to an Athlon XP 1800+ Palomino, 200MHz or
266MHz FSB, Socket A.  Anyone have a compatible Athlon XP lying around
spare, by any chance...?  (I theoretically have a spare XP 1700+ around
here someplace, but I haven't the faintest idea where.)  For that
matter, babylon5 currently has an XP1800+ and will accept up to at least
a 2400+, so long as it's 266MHz FSB, so I could "push down" if I put a
faster CPU in babylon5.

I was looking around for replacement motherboard/CPU combos and found
that there's rather little AthlonXP hardware still on the market.  It
seems it's almost all Athlon64 now, but what really surprised me was
that the remaining few AthlonXP bundles I managed to find were actually
more expensive than Athlon64 bundles at the same speed.

Signs of the times, I guess.