[rescue] O/S for 133/150mhz laptops???

Jeremy Grosser synack at csh.rit.edu
Tue Jul 11 15:46:36 CDT 2006

I've been playing with older Pentium boxes for a while and have found
that they are best put to use as low duty servers and network
appliances. However, as these are laptops I would recommend something
with a GUI to make them somewhat useful to the average person. Here
are a few ideas.

Slax (http://www.slax.org/)		A lightweight livecd distro based on
Slackware.
Debian (http://www.debian.org/)		An old standby. Nothing special.
FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org/)	While I've never used it for a
desktop, I hear it works fairly well.
OpenBSD (http://www.openbsd.org/)	Security conscious distro. Better
wireless driver support than any other open source OS at the moment.
Would be nice for turning one of these laptops into a network
auditing box.

For server use, the same distros work fairly well if configured
properly. Gentoo could be added to the list if you have a few other
boxes setup with distcc to help compile times. It took me about four
hours to install Gentoo and updated packages on a Dual 180 Mhz
Pentium box with an 800 MHz P3 and a 2.4 GHz P4 running distcc jobs.

You might also want to take a look at FreeDOS (http://
www.freedos.org/) for turning one of these laptops into a DOS game box.

Other possible uses: Microcontroller projects, serial console for
servers, learning x86 assembly, streaming audio player...
--
Jeremy Grosser
synack at csh.rit.edu
www.neohippie.net