[rescue] O/S for 133/150mhz laptops???

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Jul 10 18:12:39 CDT 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 5:11 PM, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> stephen price wrote:
>> Asking for opinions for an operating system for some older pentium
>> 133 & 150 mhz laptops.  Ram size will range from 32mb to 80mb, all
>> have a 6gb hard disk & nice TFT active matrix screens.  All have
>> "real" stickers for m$98 & could reload that - but would like to see
>> about nicer smaller kernel linux distros etc.
>
> IMO Windows 98 or not at all, but you might get away with a
> desktop-oriented distribution on the 80MB machines.  I have no idea
> which one that would be tho, "Desktop Linux" isn't something I've
> played
> with for 5 or 6 years.

Even though it's not currently supported, I'd rather have NT 4 or not
at all.  I wouldn't even run 98 when it was current.  There's no
excuse for the lack of security DOS provides.

Heck a well firewalled Windows NT 3.51 system would be preferable.

If you HAVE to run Windows that is.  Personally I'd run Solaris 8 x86
or a BSD followed by a Linux.

Andrew