[rescue] help with sym22801 in blade 100

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Jul 10 09:48:32 CDT 2006

 Quoth James Braid ...

> speaking of SGI, I just noticed they have announced
> end-of-production as
> of the end of December this year for all their current MIPS-based
> products (Origin 350, 3900, Tezro, and Fuel). bit of a shame.

Evidently SGI's flip-flop on processor types and operating systems inspired
FUD instead of sales.  Or maybe the market for high-service-level,
high-priced computers is just going away, generally.  IBM seems to be doing
OK in that market, but Sun and SGI are sucking wind, and I think everyone
else is already gone.

Remember whan there were bunches and bunches of mid-sized computer
companies?  DEC, Datapoint, Data General, MAI/Basic4, Pick, Pr1me, Tandem,
Wang, etc.?

I was at Peachtree Software in the early eighties.  Peachtree was part of
MSA, the then-dominant mainframe software outfit.  Peachtree was a similar
force in microcomputer software.  In '82, at some company function, the CEO,
John Imlay, staged a mock funeral for "the mid-sized computer."  I was a
pallbearer.  He said that with mainframes getting cheaper, and PCs getting
stronger, that middle market was going to go away.  I expect he meant
"soon," but it seems to be just about gone now.

-Shel