[rescue] help with sym22801 in blade 100

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Jul 8 23:18:08 CDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 10:03:26PM -0600, Arthur Wouk wrote:

> i did what was recommended, and got a SYM22801 for my sunblade 100. i
> installed it, and on booting, it is recognized by probe-scsi-all.
>
> now i have to decide hor to add the second, scsi drive to my blade
> 100, as was recommended to compensate for the poor performance ot the
> ide controller.
>
> two options are available:
>
> 1) install the scsi drive in the second drive bay. in this case i need
> an internal cable about two feet long, near as i can tell, with one
> end a standard 68pin male connector and the other the appropriate male
> connector for for the hard drive. how will the drive get its power in
> that case? i don't see any place to take power to a 50 pin drive. will
> a 68 pin drive get its power through the internal cable?

My blade 100 had two molex power connectors, one for each drive bay.  68
pin SCSI drives get their power via separate power connectors, just like
IDE and 50 pin SCSI.

> 2) easier conceptually is to take the signal through the external
> connector of the sym22801 board. however, usual 68pin cables don't
> fit into that space. apparently i need a VHDCI connector at the SCSI
> card end, and a standard 68pin connector at the external enclosure,
> according to the card's specs. when i look at cables, i find some
> things called HD68 connectors. are these the VHDCI 68pin connectors?
> what is LVD, with appears to float through the literature?

HD68 is the external connector for 68 pin SCSI.  That should be what you
want/need.

LVD is Low Voltage Differential SCSI.

As opposed to the older, not used much anymore, HVD, High Voltage
DIff.  Might still run across it if you pick up an older DLT drive or
something.

All Ultra(160/320) SCSI stuff is LVD.

> please help a clueless one.

SCSI is confusing, until you start to understand it, then it isn't, till
you find something you've not seen before, then it is again.

I recommend goat sacrifices.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org