[rescue] help with sym22801 in blade 100

Arthur Wouk awouk at nilenet.com
Sat Jul 8 23:03:26 CDT 2006

i did what was recommended, and got a SYM22801 for my sunblade 100. i
installed it, and on booting, it is recognized by probe-scsi-all.

now i have to decide hor to  add the second, scsi drive to my blade
100, as was recommended to compensate for the poor performance ot the
ide controller.

two options are available:

1) install the scsi drive in the second drive bay. in this case i need
an internal cable about two feet long, near as i can tell, with one
end a standard 68pin male connector and the other the appropriate male
connector for for the  hard drive. how will the drive get its power in
that case? i don't see any place to take power to a 50 pin drive. will
a 68 pin drive get its power through the internal cable?

2) easier conceptually is to take the signal through the external
connector of the sym22801 board. however, usual 68pin cables don't fit
into that space. apparently i need a VHDCI connector at the SCSI card end,
and a standard 68pin connector at the external enclosure, according to
the card's specs. when i look at cables, i find some things called HD68
connectors. are these the VHDCI 68pin connectors? what is LVD, with
appears to float through the literature?

please help a clueless one.