[rescue] Exx00 class boards and other assorted Sun goodies

Brock Johnson wildefire at brotay.net
Sat Jul 8 19:26:55 CDT 2006

Don Y wrote:
> Brock Johnson wrote:
>
>> Don Y wrote:
>>
>>> Out of curiosity, what do you get ($$) for scrap?
>>> Are these folks reclaiming precious metals or trying
>>> to resell boards, etc. (which would give a clue as
>>> to the value THEY place on the scrap).
>>>

>> Typically, a 'large' size moving box filled with boards (~40 pounds) is
>> worth about $20 bucks from our scrapper. Metal goes at about half of
>>

> So, roughly 50c/lb?
>
> But, that's "just boards".  I assume if you scrapped "whole
> machines" you would get less per pound (since much of the weight
> is "metal"/plastic)?
>

>> market prices. Almost all of the boards we sell to the scrapper are
>> certified dead. This clearing here is an exception, we need the floor
>> space.
>>

> Understood.  I'm just trying to put things in perspective with scrap
> prices I see here...
>
> Thanks!
> --don

For the most part. It can see quite a bit of variance, though, probably
due to market demands. Last fall, we were getting roughly $1/lb. Last
time we sold boards (two months ago), it was 50c/lb. The scrappers don't
inspect the stuff either other than to just look at the quantity, so I'm
not sure what it is they're looking for. There's very little gold on the
stuff we toss out (or we'd be taking it off ourselves), so it's not
that. We also don't move very much, a couple of boxes every few months.
About half of all the boards we toss out are dead disk drive
controllers, and dead disk drive chassis and platters make up the bulk
of our scrap metal too.

We strip down any whole machines. Whole machines being set to go out are
quite rare, we almost never toss working machines (in fact, I can't
remember us ever doing it before), and as I noted in my original post,
I'm not sure my boss is going to let us put those 450's out.