[rescue] ultra 60 cdrom problems

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 7 17:42:42 CDT 2006

>From: Dimitar Vasilev <dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com>
>Date: Fri Jul 07 15:41:07 CDT 2006
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [rescue] ultra 60 cdrom problems

>Hello again!
>I have problems with my workstation - ultra60 with toshiba
>XM-5701TASUN12XCD2395  - today I tried to boot off from the cd-rom.
>When I pushed the button to insert my solaris express, to my suprize a
>solaris 2.6 cd appeared on the caddy from out of the nowhere.
>With the opening the cd started to squeak which for me indicates that
>something is wrong inside and may need a closer look.
>Before that the CD was empty - I have opened it couple of times w/out problems.
>Today I tried to insert  my cd's to install the machine, but the cd
>holds them for 2 seconds and then ejects the caddy.
>Symptoms looks like this:
>http://forum.sun.com/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=94842&tstart=45
>I would like to ask someone to give some tips on this.
>I have not yet opened the box, have system handbook handy and will
>wait for tomorrow - now it's too dark here and my fingers are not of
>the merciful ones.
>Thanks!

Dimitar,

It sounds like a CD-ROM was left in the drive prior to packing the system up for shipment, and that the CD-ROM finally wedged itself loose. Since you have never seen the drive work (you've seen the tray work, based on your description), I'd seriously consider getting a replacement CD-ROM drive, as there is no telling what may have gotten messed-up inside the CD-ROM drive. There really are no user-serviceable parts inside a CD-ROM drive, IMHO...

A new drive shouldn't be too expensive - $10 or so, with around $5-7 shipping (check eBay)...

Lionel