[rescue] rebuildability

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Jul 7 09:47:31 CDT 2006

Thus spake velociraptor:
> On 7/7/06, Kevin Foote <kevin.foote at gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi all
>> not sure if i should be posting this here. :-)
>> i have a 12" g3 iBook that has a bad screen but otherwise works great..
>> from
>> what i gather its the backlight on the actual lcd.
>> a new screen rig from powerbookmedic <http://www.powerbookmedic.com>
>> costs
>> ~$299 my general question is is this actually worth the referb time /
>> money.
>> ive also thought
>> of buying a parts rig on ebay but then i cant guarantee the lcd is good
>> (unless specified of course).
>>
>> if / when i get this thing up it would be a box for my wife in the
>> kitchen
>> area to browse etc with ..
>>
>> i know that is a user specific question  _wether it is worth it or not_
>> but
>> i know there a a lot of mac peopel on the list that might have
>> experience
>> replacing / repairing so i thought id ask anyway.
>
> If I were working on something like this and weren't intending to sell
> it, I might consider around $100 for a parts box to replace the LCD,
> though I'd try to find something cheaper.
>
> You might also troll the lowendmac.com mailing lists--there's one for
> 'books, and one general buy/sell list.  The latter is called lem-swap.
> (i.e. post a "WTB: known good g3 ibook backlight" email).

There is another option now that we know it's probably the inverter.
Replace the inverter board only:

http://shorterlink.org/855   (E-Bay)

Much less expensive but still a little problematic to take apart.

Mike Hebel
----
"It sticks to your mouth like library paste, has a stronger kick than
toxic waste, there's nothing that you'll ever taste like 307 Ale!" - Tom
Smith - 307 Ale