[rescue] rebuildability

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 09:34:14 CDT 2006

On 7/7/06, Kevin Foote <kevin.foote at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all
> not sure if i should be posting this here. :-)
> i have a 12" g3 iBook that has a bad screen but otherwise works great.. from
> what i gather its the backlight on the actual lcd.
> a new screen rig from powerbookmedic <http://www.powerbookmedic.com> costs
> ~$299 my general question is is this actually worth the referb time / money.
> ive also thought
> of buying a parts rig on ebay but then i cant guarantee the lcd is good
> (unless specified of course).
>
> if / when i get this thing up it would be a box for my wife in the kitchen
> area to browse etc with ..
>
> i know that is a user specific question  _wether it is worth it or not_  but
> i know there a a lot of mac peopel on the list that might have experience
> replacing / repairing so i thought id ask anyway.

If I were working on something like this and weren't intending to sell
it, I might consider around $100 for a parts box to replace the LCD,
though I'd try to find something cheaper.

You might also troll the lowendmac.com mailing lists--there's one for
'books, and one general buy/sell list.  The latter is called lem-swap.
(i.e. post a "WTB: known good g3 ibook backlight" email).

If it's a clamshell type iBook, I'll tell you up front those things
are hell to get apart, even with a "spudger".  White iBooks are
easier, but still fiddly.  Get the spudger, you will not regret it.  I
recently bought 2 more at the Dayton Hamfest, since the guy I bought
my soldering iron had them for $1 each.  ifixit.com has the ones I
prefer, though they are pricey @ $6.95 (this is where I got mine).
The other "pry tool" that you can find on ebay (search for iPod
battery) seems less multi-purpose.

I use mine as a general purpose tool for opening cell phones, PDAs,
laptops, etc. as well as for lifting/positioning bits inside them too.

=Nadine=