[rescue] Fun with ZFS

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 6 14:47:33 CDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Mike F wrote:

> zfs filesystems don't show up in vfstab because they are
> mounted/unmounted/etc. through zfs(1M).

<snip>

> You can explicitly put a zfs pool anywhere you want it. Just create the
> pool thusly:
>
> zpool create -m /whatever/path/you/want pool_name c0t0d0

Which was exactly my complaint.  I don't do ufs create -m /opt.  Why
should I zfpool create -m /some/zfs/thing?  Is editing /etc/*fstab "so
1970s" that Sun has decided to (only partially) deprecate it?

My thesis is that someone needs a Really Good Argument for introducing
such a glaring inconsistency.  I don't see what 'zpool create -m
/wherever' buys other than obfuscation.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"