[rescue] Fun with ZFS

Mike F lists at ibrew.net
Thu Jul 6 13:49:22 CDT 2006

Mike Meredith wrote:
> Digging up an ancient post :-
>
> On Tue, 30 May 2006 12:23:05 -0500 (CDT), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
>> uses its fstab equivalent (/etc/filesystems) to note mountpoints.  ZFS
>> filesystems just get mounted where they think they should go: they
>> don't show up in /etc/vfstab, and they don't show up usefully in the
>> mount list.  The data is just out there...somewhere.
>>

> I haven't verified it myself, but 'zfs set mountpoint=legacy' might get
> you back towards something more conventional. I must admit I like zfs
> almost as much as AIX's storage management ... in some areas more
> (snapshots, clones).

zfs filesystems don't show up in vfstab because they are
mounted/unmounted/etc. through zfs(1M).

zfs filesystems do, however, show up in the output of mount(1M) and df(1M)

You can explicitly put a zfs pool anywhere you want it. Just create the
pool thusly:

zpool create -m /whatever/path/you/want pool_name c0t0d0

- Mike