[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Tue Jul 4 08:42:39 CDT 2006

Jonathan Groll wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 04:11:21PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Though a book with softly glowing pages would be interesting .....  not
>> monitor-bright, just enough to read without an external source of
>> illumination.
>
> I've always wanted to learn braille so that I could read under the
> covers, a self illuminating display would still be second prize as I'd
> have to keep my eyes open ;-)

Most (sighted) people that learn Braille "sight read" it.
It's really pretty hard to "touch read" unless you make
a habit of that.  While many people can touch read quite
quickly (Braille uses LOTS of contractions/abbreviations),
it's always easier to move your EYES across the page
than to move your HANDS (you typically use two hands
when reading Braille -- one to scan the cells on the
line and the other to mark the margin where you started
to facilitate returning to it to find the next line).

I think sighted folks who are GOOD at touch reading
are the same sort who act as translators for the deaf
(who "sign" all the time -- even when talking to
non-deaf persons).  a fair bit of self-discipline?