[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jul 3 15:53:26 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 03:31:52PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> >> Shrug.  I don't much care what other formats are available, as long
> >> as plain text is.
> > I do all my documentation in PDF's.  Looks respectable when printed.
> > Easy to extract the text as needed.
>
> Actually, rather difficult to extract text from, in my experience.  But
> perhaps that's just because I refuse to use closed-source tools like
> Acrobat.  (Someday, when my collection of round tuits fills out, I'll
> build a PDF picker-apart.  But the PDF doc is something like a thousand
> pages - and is, of course, itself a PDF file, leading to an amusing
> chicken-and-egg situation.)

It depends on the PDF file, but for a properly constructed file, there
should be a way to extract the text on linux.  In evince cutting and
pasting sometimes works.  I don't recall if it also works in xpdf.  I
seem to recall that it doesn't work in gv.

Of off the top of my head, I'm not certain how to extract the entire
file from the command line, and I suspect that any such method would
make no attempt at nice formatting.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net