[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jul 3 13:26:15 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 01:59:02PM -0400, Steve Sandau wrote:
> >>BTW, I recently started using Synergy between to Linux machines.  It is
> >>really nice.  In some ways it isn't as nice as a dual monitor setup (my
> >>laptop won't do it nicely under Linux though), in other ways it is nicer
> >>(if firefox starts sucking the life out of the second machine, the first
> >>is still just as fast).
> >

> > Or for dealing with the horror of Outlook on one side and a real *nix
> > box on the other.  It's a nice little piece of software.
> >

> Yes, that's my situation. I used synergy for a while (and liked it) but
> finally settled on rdesktop. IIRC Synergy would even allow copy & paste
> between screens, too. I was quite impressed by that.
>
> I'm actually thinking about adding a third head to my work desktop.
> Documentation, shell prompts (at 132x48 char) a browser, a few apps in
> Citrix, jabber and an rdesktop session or two eats up a fair amount of
> screen.

I'd love more heads at work.  I would especially like dual heads on my
main workstation.  However, my main workstation is a laptop with ATI
graphics.  Alas, neither the ATI or free drivers really support dual
heads nicely on linux.  The free driver costs you acceleration on the
second head.  The ATI driver requires both heads be the same
resolution.  That is a problem if the laptop runs at a strange
resolution.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net