[rescue] Is it kosher to post Craigslist links here?

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Mon Jul 3 12:43:41 CDT 2006

der Mouse wrote:
>>> If such things were plain text, it might be different, but they are
>>> invariably PDFs or something even less [readable...]
>> I don't like plain text documentation all that much.
>
> Shrug.  I don't much care what other formats are available, as long as
> plain text is.

I do all my documentation in PDF's.  Looks respectable when
printed.  Easy to extract the text as needed.  And supports
graphics and other print constructs (table, etc.)

>> For HTML documentation, I prefer to at least have one chapter per
>> page, if not the entire document in one page.  Having to constantly
>> go through each little sub or subsub section as a seperate page
>> irritates me to no end.
>
> Agreed.  When I have to use HTML, having to chase links all the time
> irritates me too (beyond having to use HTML at all, that is).

HTML on a single *page* is OK -- i.e. links that just zip
you down to the right spot on THAT page.  But, having to reload
new pages with each click is the sign of someone who's become
enamored with the technology and forgotten what it's like to
USE it!

>> BTW, 200dpi displays have existed for awhile.  I don't know what it
>> will take for them to become affordable.
>
> If they're not reasonably cheap they might as well not exist as far as
> my documentation reading preferences go. :-)

<grin>

>> Also, does anyone remeber how many DPI is in the eInk displays?
>
> Is that the "soft paper" stuff?  That's a nice idea, but until it's
> cheap enough to build multi-hundred-page books out of, it won't replace
> paper for me.

Now *that* would be cool!  200 sheets of OLED's...