[rescue] looking for SGI system, cheap

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Fri Jan 27 12:38:08 CST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:17:21AM -0800, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> The primary exception to the "reasonably fast" statement is web browsing;
> all the browsers I've tried are excruciatingly slow to load, and have pretty
> dismal page-rendering speeds, too.

This reminds me... I have a 250MHz R4400 purple Indigo2, and back
around 1999-2000 I was running distributed.net rc5-64 clients on a
lot of machines. Anytime I tried to run it on my I2, or on the
Origin 200 at work, it yielded abysmal performance numbers. Just
an order of magnitude off what I would have expected for the class
of hardware.

I was just wondering if these two anecdotal accounts add up to an
explanation in some list members mind. Sure, it could just be
"poor coding," but ...

--Steve.