[rescue] NeWS

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Jan 21 15:09:51 CST 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Yes, they have widget sets, huge ones, and guidelines, and IPC
> (unfortunately based on Microsoft ideas), and all kinds of nifty bloat
> and eye candy.

Windows-style IPC would be a tremendous improvement over GNOME's
misappropriation of CORBA.  While I'm not a champion of the pig-beast
from Redmond any longer, I'd kill for something as extensible as
PostMessage() on Unix, rather than XSendEvent().  Also, OLE, for all
that it makes a mess of things, at least isn't as bloated and slow as
KParts and Bonobo.

OLE would be downright sexy if it weren't for the fragile way its
configuration is managed and the dangerous ways that components can
extend each other.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"