[rescue] NeWS

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jan 21 09:49:03 CST 2006

Fri, 20 Jan 2006 @ 19:55 -0700, Richard said:

> In article <43D1A029.101 at widomaker.com>,
>     Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>  writes:
>
> > Richard wrote:
> >
> > > To my knowledge once Motif was out, most people didn't bother making
> > > toolkits
> >
> > Actually, Motif probably has more third party toolkits, including a lot
> > for support of specialized industries, than any other GUI system in the
> > world.
>
> ...which is actually proving my point.  People built stuff on *top* of
> Motif to complement what they see as gaps in its widget set, not stuff
> to compete with or replace it.

I thought you meant no one was writing them for Motif.

I'd still say you are wrong though, because toolkits continued to
explode in number after Motif. That's always been a frustraction
with UNIX GUI systems: so many that there never was a standard one
established.

As far as plugging holes goes:

Only a small number of third party widgets did that. The vast majority
were extentions to Motif, not plugging holes.

They were mainly extensions which used Motif guidelines, and covered new
areas.

Plugging a hole would have been a third party widget that replaced a
base Motif element that was considered unsuitable.

For example, there was a third party widget to replace base Motif's
leaky spreadsheet type widget with one that was more efficient and had
better features.

I'm sure there were others.

> ...or are you saying that these third party toolkits are Motif
> competitors?

No, and toolkit is probably the wrong word, but a lot of third parties
called their widget sets toolkits.

And yes, there were plenty of competitive toolkits, some created before
Motif which lived on, and quite a few created afterward.

KDE and Gnome are only the latest examples of this.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall