[rescue] info trumps man

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jan 19 15:30:35 CST 2006

" From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
"
" Sandwich Maker wrote:
" >
" > i was deep into vi by the time i even heard of emacs, and as a budding
" > sysadmin it didn't seem smart to rely on something not on the install
" > media.  now i almost think in vi.
"
" I use zsh's vi-editing mode *constantly*.
"
" I've even accidentally tried it on MVS and VSE lately, which is *bad*.

likewise.  i first started using ksh when ksh86 was new, and now i'm
nearly lost without vi-style cle.  i originally wanted ksh so i could
put my path in my prompt.  now my PS1 has evolved into a monster that
puts $USER @ $HOSTNAME : $PWD in my titlebar, and [usually] $HOSTNAME
in my icon label, and of course they all change as i cd, su, and login
around my machines.

every now and then i try to edit a firefox url window...

one of the cool things hp did with hp-ux 10 et al was build a static
ksh88 with the posix switch thrown [which trivially changes the
behavior of about a half dozen minor features] and install it as
/sbin/sh.  history and cle are off by default for uid 0, but so easy
to turn on.

" From: abuse at cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett)
"
"
" I can still use vi if emacs isn't installed, of course. Mind you, if
" your predecessor had the same rather bizarre tastes as mine, you'll
" find that vi was removed and pico put in its place. Now *that* is a
" sucky editor.

i'm fortunate, i guess, that all i know about that is it's the editor
of a mailer called pine, which is an acronym standing for 'pine is not
elm', but i don't know elm or pine either.