[rescue] My Best Rescue to Date.. Ever

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jan 18 17:58:57 CST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Devin L. Ganger wrote:

>>> They went from IBM-style formatting to Linux-style formatting.
>
>> Linux-style formatting?  What is that?
>>
>> The Linux man pages are man macro based man pages just like most other
>> UNIX.
>
> If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, a lot of the new
> Linux (and *BSD pages, for that matter) are written using an alternative
> set of troff macros that don't play well with the macros that are used
> by pretty much every real UNIX distro for, oh, ages.

No, it's not that.  The man pages in 5.3, I believe, are actually
written in XML now.  But the way they're displayed on-screen is not like
they were in previous versions of AIX.

If I had access to an AIX 5.1 box, I'd show you the difference, but my
only 5.1 box is unplugged, at the moment.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"