[rescue] My Best Rescue to Date.. Ever

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Wed Jan 18 17:50:12 CST 2006

on 1/18/2006 2:04 PM Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Tue, 17 Jan 2006 @ 12:12 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

>> They went from IBM-style formatting to Linux-style formatting.

> Linux-style formatting?  What is that?
>
> The Linux man pages are man macro based man pages just like most other
> UNIX.

If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, a lot of the new
Linux (and *BSD pages, for that matter) are written using an alternative
set of troff macros that don't play well with the macros that are used
by pretty much every real UNIX distro for, oh, ages.

I first ran into that problem many moons ago as I was putting the latest
and greatest version of Sendmail at that time onto a Solaris box and
having to install the entire damn toolchain to get there. It took me a
couple of hours to figure out why the man pages were broken and what
file to frob where to get it all to work again. As far as I could tell,
there was no good reason for changing which macros they were using,
other than NIH.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/