[rescue] NeWS (was: FS/FTGH: Sun kit)

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed Jan 18 16:42:59 CST 2006

In article <200601182206.RAA08023 at Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>,
    der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>  writes:

> >> I recall when SGI switched from X layered atop GL to GL layered atop X.
> > What was their rationale for doing that?
>
> I don't know.  I don't recall ever seeing a rationale given.

I don't know the specifics, but I'd guess that it has to do with the
way that X wants to manage the colormap and the input devices.
Everyone that has an X Window Server implements OpenGL on top of X.
OpenGL is designed to be friendly to this sort of implementation.
OpenGL purposefully avoids things like device input, event handling,
refresh notifications and so-on in order to avoid fighting between the
native window system and OpenGL about who "owns" the resources.  Its
one of the major changes between GL and OpenGL.  GL doesn't really
like co-existing with anyone else.  Its more like what you would get
on the Xbox than what you would get with OpenGL or Direct3D.

I don't know that I'd say its fair to characterize what Apple has done
as layering their UI on *top* of OpenGL.  Its more like they've
integrated OpenGL into the same ball of mud simply because they have
control over the hardware ecosystem and the whole ball of mud.
             Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
                <http://pilgrimage.scene.org>