[rescue] NeWS (was: FS/FTGH: Sun kit)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jan 18 15:45:46 CST 2006

Wed, 18 Jan 2006 @ 11:31 -0700, Richard said:

> not rules".  Motif imposes some rules on UI -- namely the rules that
> go along with an interface that has the "look and feel" of the Windows
> 3.1 GUI, because after all, that's what Motif was designed to be -- a
> UI toolkit for X11 that reproduced the look and feel of Windows
> because that was a common interface mechanism that people already
> knew.

Actually, you have it backward.

I was using Motif in college before Windows 3.0 introduced a 3D look and
feel, some of which they copied from Motif.

Motif came out in the last 1980s as a competitor to OpenLook.

Windows at this time was still 2D.

When Windows 3.0 came out, they copied several UI elements from other
systems, including Motif.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.