[rescue] Looking for an USII/300 module and answer to question about PN's

dsimmons dsimmons at libx.siu.edu
Wed Jan 18 10:12:32 CST 2006

I received my E250 yesterday. The eBay auction went reasonably well, but
it was very poorly packed and the poor thing took a beating. I had to
disassemble the power supply to repair the bent handle screws, reseat
the mainboard in its clips, and so on - frankly, I was very relieved to
see it boot. It had been described as having two CPUs, but doesn't. I'm
just not gonna fight the guy over it, since I can get one for about $30
on eBay and I only paid $136 for the box. But, if I could find one
cheaper, of course I'd be very pleased.

So, I am searching for an UltraSparc II/300 CPU module to buy from a
resq member or possibly trade, if I have anything they would find of
use. My current CPU says: 501-4849-03 Rev 61 - I know that the CPU
modules must be matched sets, but how precisely must they match? I
apologize for my ignorance, but for example, would a 501-4849-02 (if
there is such a thing) work? Or, would it have to be a 501-4849-03, but
revision, say, 59 would be okay? I have never had to deal with this
issue before, so I don't know how to interpret these Sun part numbers. I
am under the impression that the speed and cache are the critical
variables, and that possibly any 501-4849 would work. Is that correct? I
googled the issue without finding a definitive answer to "how close is
close enough"?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Doug Simmons
Procedures and Systems Analyst II