[rescue] NeWS (was: FS/FTGH: Sun kit)

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Wed Jan 18 00:47:00 CST 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, der Mouse wrote:

> I'm not sure whether I'm bragging or complaining when I say this, but,
> I have.  As I sit here and look at my X screen, every client - every
> last one of them - is my own code, written directly atop Xlib.  That
> means:
>         - Window manager
>         - Terminal emulators
>         - Clocks
>         - Root window background maintainer
>         - Picture displayer
>         - Another, different, picture displayer
>         - Connection-management front end
> (The two "picture displayer"s are tuned for very different
> picture-display tasks, which is why there are two of them.)

Ha!  The dangers of posting rants when I read the list in digest mode...
Having played with virtually every window manager/OS/toolkit combination
at one point or another, I thought I'd seen them all...

That is majorly impressive.  I mean, either you are really into pain, or
you have way too much time on your hands. :-)  Got any screenshots?

And, guys, sorry for the tone of my last post; not sure why it came out so
grumpy.  X seemed like a pretty neat step forward over SunView, and the
old proprietary DomainOS window system, and the hodgepodge of other stuff
that was available in the late 80s/early 90s; but since NeXTSTEP came out,
the contrast between where we were and where we could be was pretty stark.
What the hell happens now, since X11R6 is basically the end of the line?
This is it?  This is all we get?  Having finally installed "Tiger" on a
couple of Macs over the weekend, it's just sad that the rest of the Unix
world is still stuck with creaky old X...

-- Chris