[rescue] FS/FTGH: Sun kit

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Mon Jan 16 15:59:30 CST 2006

In article <200601161955.OAA29772 at Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>,
    der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>  writes:

> >> I'm not so sure.  I think the cg6 does 3D, though it's so
> >> under-documented I can't be sure - and cg6s were common; indeed, the
> >> LX even has a cg6 onboard.
> > Googling says that CG6 is an 8-bit frame buffer.
>
> It is.
>
> > Almost certainly this means it doesn't do 3D graphics in HW.
>
> What are the <X,Y,Z> triples of registers for then?

Hell if I know, I don't know jack about Sun graphics hardware.

The reason that I say it "almost certainly" doesn't have 3D support is
that anyone wanting 3D support isn't going to tolerate the low color
fidelity of an 8-bit framebuffer.  Yes, you can dither to an 8-bit
palette, but the result is so crappy looking that you might as well
not bother.  I know lots of people that can't stand the color fidelity
in 24-bit frame buffers!  (True 8-bits of range after gamma correction
can only be achieved by using 10-bits (or more) per channel as lots of
the values in the low-end of the 8-bit range end up being perceptually
indistinguishable after accounting for the gamma of the monitor.)
             Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
                <http://pilgrimage.scene.org>