[rescue] FS/FTGH: Sun kit

Mon Jan 16 13:49:45 CST 2006

>> I'm not so sure.  I think the cg6 does 3D, though it's so
>> under-documented I can't be sure - and cg6s were common; indeed, the
>> LX even has a cg6 onboard.
> Googling says that CG6 is an 8-bit frame buffer.

It is.

> Almost certainly this means it doesn't do 3D graphics in HW.

What are the <X,Y,Z> triples of registers for then?

It appears to have a 3D transform engine in the hardware, based on both
the registers available and a few nontechnical press pieces I've read.
As far as I can tell it doesn't do lighting and the like; if by 3D you
meant hardware (or firmware) lighting computations and Gouraud/Phong
shading and the like, then no, it doesn't.  But to me 3D means working
in three dimensions rather than two - call me odd, but if I mean a
rendering engine, I talk about a rendering engine - and that much I
suspect it does do.

If you know how to make it do so, of course.  (Can you tell I'm annoyed
at the lack of documentation?)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca