[rescue] Repairing Sun Exx00 Node Boards

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Thu Jan 12 15:59:48 CST 2006

on 1/12/2006 1:23 PM Jeff Cole wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:47:47AM -0800, Devin L. Ganger wrote:

>>No one has claimed the Auspex NS5500 though...at this point, I'm willing
>>to let it go for free to someone who shows up with a truck just to see
>>it back in the hands of someone who will hook it up and tinker with the
>>damn thing.

> What are the specs on that, and where is it located? If nothing else, it
> would be awesome to have a geek cred.

Oh, geez. I no longer remember the exact processor/RAM specs, but here's
what I do remember:

7' tall black case (missing the front hinge brackets for the front
doors, but the doors are present)
~700lbs. fully loaded
15 hot-swap full-height SCSI drive bays, with an assortment of 1, 2, and
3 GB disks. The Storage Processor card includes 6 SCSI channels and a
separate processor. CD-ROM drive is included.
Runs a modified variant of SunOS 4.1 -- latest version is 1.6m (IIRC).
Includes the serial terminal used as console, however the terminal is
acting a bit flaky last I used it. You can use just about any serial
console or connection, though.
Includes the 6-port Ethernet Processor card.

I'm in the Seattle, WA area and I don't even want to think about
shipping. The last quote I got from a shipper who was even willing to
think about it was insane. If you want this box and you're not from this
area, it's yours as long as you do the work of having someone show up at
my door to pick it up. I'll help them wheel it out. I brought it home
using someone else's pickup truck, but that was for ~10 miles; for a
longer trip, you'd want a nice moving van or covered trailer with plenty
of tie-downs.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/