[rescue] Repairing Sun Exx00 Node Boards

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Thu Jan 12 13:14:54 CST 2006

on 1/12/2006 9:22 AM Chad McAuley wrote:

> On 1/11/06, velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:

>>I can't tell you how much I miss not being able to just run down to
>>Fry's to get what I want.  Metro DC area is such a tech wasteland--
>>MicroCenter and CompUSA just don't cut it.

> All the good stuff I hear about Fry's makes me wish there was one even
> remotely close by[0].  MicroCenter and CompUSA are certainly better
> than the other options, but you're right; they just don't cut it for
> some things.  And there aren't really any local places around here
> that are decent either[1], which is a shame since I'd be willing to
> pay the "I get it now" tax and pick stuff up locally rather than
> having to order from Newegg/ZipZoomFly/MWave/etc.

I've not been impressed with Fry's any time I've gone, both to the
relatively new one here in the Seattle area and to the Wilsonville
location just south of Portland, OR. The staff are rude and ignorant,
they never carry enough stock on hand for their special deals by even
the most pessimistic standard, returns are a nightmare, and the idiot
shoppers who throng there make the store (and the parking lot) a hazard
to navigate. And don't even get me started about advertising a "final"
price that depends on 30 million mail-in rebates, most of which you will
never actually see even if you step through all the paperwork hoops.

Feh. Give me mail order any time; even factoring in shipping, I can show
hard savings every time. I save visits to stores for when I have an
emergency and can't wait for overnight or 2-day.

In the good news category, I finally found a taker for my old Sparcbook
3gx laptop; I'm trading it straight across with a friend for an Ultra 5.
Yeah, I know, an Ultra 5, but this at least allows me to start messing
around with Solaris 10. And since he won't be running Solaris 7 on it,
that gives me my Tadpole copy of Solaris 7 to find a new home for.

Now to find a home for the rest of this old equipment, including the
Auspex. I'd like to have that space back.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/