[rescue] Differential SCSI?

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Tue Jan 10 06:24:36 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:32:17AM -0000, Rox wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2006 at 5:35, jodys at helluin.org wrote:
[answers snipped]

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. There are so many terms for
various SCSI bits that sometimes I worry I'm forgetting something important.

> > And will connecting single ended or LVD devices to a HVD bus actually
> > make magic smoke come out?
>
> The smoke is rarely visible, but sometimes things do break as a result
> of this mistake. BTDT.  SCSI shares the property of several other
> interconnection systems (RS-232 springs to mind) - the plug may fit,
> but that doesn't mean it's going to work.

Been there, done that, don't wanna do it again :) Back when I was a kid
I was trying to make a laser printer "go". Deciding that somehow it was
connected to the wrong port on the computer, I found another likely
looking female DB-25 port. Which turns out to be a connector for a
EEPROM programmer that used 12V... It sure was sad seeing the normally
ordered lines on the interface card from the printer marred by scorch
marks and melted DIPPs. Thus I learned the critical importance of Magic
Smoke (visible or not) at an early age.

> Differential SCSI is still nice, it allows noisy drive arrays to be
> located over twenty feet away in a different room from the workstation
> to which they are attached ;)

True enough, though I'm hoping to accomplish the same thing with Fibre
Channel. Because fiber optics are just darn cool.

Jody