[rescue] Differential SCSI?

Rox rox at sunmuseum.org
Tue Jan 10 05:32:17 CST 2006

On 10 Jan 2006 at 5:35, jodys at helluin.org wrote:

> When I see a SCSI bus refered to as "Differential", with no qualifier,
> it means High Voltage Differential (as it is refered to now). Correct?

Yes

> Ignoring the issue of the wideness of the bus, am I  correct in thinking
> that I cannot connect "Differential", or HVD, devices to a single-ended
> or LVD bus?

Yes (though there are interface convertors available which can
translate between the two, e.g. by Paralan and Rancho)

> And will connecting single ended or LVD devices to a HVD bus actually
> make magic smoke come out?

The smoke is rarely visible, but sometimes things do break as a result
of this mistake. BTDT.  SCSI shares the property of several other
interconnection systems (RS-232 springs to mind) - the plug may fit,
but that doesn't mean it's going to work.

Differential SCSI is still nice, it allows noisy drive arrays to be
located over twenty feet away in a different room from the workstation
to which they are attached ;)

--
  Regards
  -/ Rox /-    <sunmuseum.org>