[rescue] Fixing the NVRAM battery in the SS5

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Jan 7 02:23:25 CST 2006

> It's usually in the bootup section.  I remember reading an FAQ on it, and
> they said "Don't worry, it's just debug stuff."  Okay, but considering
> that I downloaded a released version of Debian, could you guys turn that
> off? :-P

I also wondered why these messages were there, they seem to be the first
thing to blame when something does not work. After some digging it seems
that the latest release can use both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels and 2.4 is the
default in installer because it might be better tested that 2.6. But the
userland is already new and attempts to use the new features in 2.6 (and
gracefully falls back to older API so the messages really seem to be a
non-issue).

So it's just the problem that there are not much sparc32 linux
developers left and 2.6 is not fully debugged on sparc32. Sparc64 is
quite actively maintained but sparc32 kernel only gets occasional fixes
and has no maintainer :( Any volunteers, one step forward to help giving
the rescued hardware a new life!

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)