[rescue] Fixing the NVRAM battery in the SS5

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Fri Jan 6 15:12:53 CST 2006

Quoth Bryan Gurney ...

> ... but still, this thing may boot up with a MAC address of
> FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF or something, and refuse to continue.

I haven't faced the problem, but I once saw a script that dealt with this
once you got the thing to boot.  IIRC, you had to know the MAC address and
HostID, and put 'em in the script.  Obviously, you'd do that before the
machine got so bad it lost its mind.  When the script ran, it stuffed the
MAC address and HostID into the NVRAM somehow, set the clock, and rebooted.

I don't seem to actually _have_ the script, of course.

-Shel