[rescue] wire my house!

Peter abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Jan 3 11:26:27 CST 2006

Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
[...]
> i've been with galaxy for a while now and happy enough that i got my
> mother and gf onto them as well. gis has had dsl for a while and
> 762/128 is now down to $20/mo. okay, that's not a bargain with
> verizon at $15 - but wait, there's more...

It's still a bargain. I'm paying 30 quid (USD50-ish) a month for
1024/256, but Zen are considered once of the best providers.

[...]
> it isn't clear if only folks in this area can get it or if you're
> just restricted to phone numbers that make you look like you live
> here. otoh, you can have multiple numbers from anywhere in this area
> - both boston and nyc, for example.

I assume this means that they have a switch in those areas, and so can
draw from the local pool of numbers. Every other VoIP provider offers
numbers to people physically outside the local area, so I see no
reason why they wouldn't.

In case I'm stating the bleeding obvious, it does however mean that
you may not be able to port in a number that's not local to one of
their PoPs.

Local may also mean something different to them than it does to you.
Retail, the whole UK is a local call, but wholesale it's still the old
same-or-adjacent charge group price. In a fine example of
unsustainable dotcom-style pricing, wholesale is often more expensive
than retail too (e.g wholesale calls are 0.6p/minute, retail is
3p/call.)

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key