[rescue] SS5-170 mobo available

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Jan 3 09:29:13 CST 2006

" From: Mike Nicewonger <twmaster at twmaster.com>
"
" On Jan 2, 2006, at 9:33 PM, Bryan Gurney wrote:
"
" > On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:03:07 -0500, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
" > wrote:
" >
" >
" > My 110MHz SS5 runs fairly cool; the CPU has one of those
" > "stacked-disc" heatsinks on it, and the only ventilation is the power
" > supply blowing onto the board.  It's pretty good if you give it a cool
" > hard drive; it got hot in there when I had a hot 9GB Seagate Cheetah,
" > but
" > when I switched that out for an 18 GB Quantum drive, it was a bit
" > cooler.
" > I have an 18 GB Cheetah in my Ultra 2 that runs nowhere near as hot as
" > the
" > 9GB; I don't know if it's a "feature" of the 9GB model, or whether my
" > particular 9GB has an issue.  Oh well, that's what you get with cheap
" > used
" > SCSI hard drives!  I should get a newer one from ComputerGiants or
" > something if I want more reliability.
"
" Early Cheetahs were warm. By the time the 18G drives were coming out
" they got the heat issues solved. Damn fine drives in the greater than
" 9G size.

that's been the general trend with seagate drives; even as data rates
go up, power requirements go down.  cheetahs now are not far from where
[smaller] hawks were ten years ago.

" I'd only ever worry about heat in an SS5 if I had an old pair of 'cudas
" and a CG14(is that right?) (Big dual slot framebuffer 24 bit type)

the first cudas were incredibly hot and power-hungry - 27w iirc.

" > Some of the later SparcStation
" > Aurora chassis have a proper half-height 5.25" bay; I had a SS4 that
" > had
" > this chassis, but the board was flaky on this system, and I didn't feel
" > like transplanting the SS5 board sled in there (I don't know if I
" > could've
" > done it.  Oh well).
"
"
" To answer your points the second generation SS5 was called Aurora II
" and yes it held a standard full size CD-ROM drive. As for the SS4 and
" SS5 yes you could transplant the board however the wimpy SS4 PSU likely
" would die if loaded with drives.

the standard ss4 ps was 50w vs. the ss4/ss20 150w, but -- you can swap
them, and system boards; the chassis is the same.  and there was an
'ss4 server' which had the 150w ps - don't ask me why.  in and amongst
the stack of ss4s and ss5s i got last year from jim fogg and someone
else whose name i've unfortunately forgotten, was one of these with a
70MHz cpu.  it's now the home of my sparcengine-ultra20.

" FWIW I ran an SS4 as my mail server for 4 years until the drive started
" to die so I switched to an Apple B&W 400MHz G3 running OS-X Sewer.

i'm planning to use 2 of the 4 ss4-110s i have as my dsl firewall and
general-purpose dns/smtp/ntp/whatever [syslog?] server.  they ought to
be plenty powerful for these lightweight duties, and both of them plus
the dsl modem plus the ata won't strain my old 250w ups.

in line with that - anyone have an sbus ethernet card gathering dust?
and i vaguely recall an sbus alm-8 board...  i could use one of those
too.

" From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
"
" On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:03:07 -0500