[rescue] Sparc LX Wanted

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Sun Feb 26 11:23:47 CST 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 12:18 PM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 11:36, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

>>> I have probably got an ipx if you want one, they are slightly faster.
>>> But the hard drive will probably be small. I'll see if I can dig one
>>> out, most of mine have dead nvram though.
>>
>> Uh. No. The LX is faster than an IPX.
>
> Guess that depends on what you are doing with it...
>
> The LX is 50Mhz while the IPX is 40MHz... but...
>
> Don't try to run WABI on it... the IPX will do much
> better.... the Classic and LX suffered from lack of
> cache (it was way to small).

While this may be so for -most- uses the IPX is not a fast as the LX.
Not even the same class CPU. And since the opriginal posted made no
mention of intended use my original comment stands as true.

> It is quite possible that an IPX with a Weitek PowerUp
> might even be faster all around than an LX.

That would be peachy but nobody mentioned a PowerUp...

--
Mike N

A mighty Oak tree was once just a nut that held it's ground