[rescue] Xserve without OS X Server?

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Tue Feb 7 13:14:38 CST 2006

Shot in the dark, here...

I have a chance to buy a dual G4 Xserve. However, it does not come with the
OS X Server media/license that would have accompanied that box.

So- the question is: lacking the correct Server version of OS X, is anyone
familiar with other OS's that can run on Xserve? "Regular" OS X? *BSD? I
seem to have googled reference to debian being booted on an Xserve, but
that's about all.

I'd really rather run OS X Server on it, and I do have access to 10.4.x
server media, but if I had to add the cost of the Server license to the cost
of the box, it's probably not attractive to me.

TIA for any info,

Steve