[rescue] NeXTStep for Sun

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Wed Feb 1 09:02:27 CST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 05:06, Per Sandstrom wrote:
> Andreas (and Ethan),
>
> May I join the NEXTSTEP for SPARC cabal? Especially if you have the full
> Developer's Release?

Just a note of caution:

it is tough to get "modern" software to build on NS sometimes.  Things like SSH, etc.

NS/SPARC will run well on what we consider to be quite low-end hardware, like a Sun4/110 I had it installed on in late 2004.  But you may find yourself going nuts over its 2 or 4GB partition size restrictions for disks, and other oddities left over from the early days of Unix.

My suggestion:

have two machines, one with Solaris or Linux and a big disk served via NFS.  Put everything on this disk aside from just the basic OS.

Use X to display remote apps that run on the other machine for which there is no equivalent Nextstep app.

If you set it up this way, you can probably get away with using NS for just about everything, since you can fall back on an X app if you need to.

--Patrick