[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sat Dec 30 18:07:18 CST 2006

Dan Duncan wrote:
> On 12/30/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> I installed FreeBSD (I think) on a 386/40 with 16 Meg RAM over
>> DIAL-UP with a boot floppy and a 33.3 Modem. Neat that it could be
>> done, but like you, I rarely plaed with it...
>
> My first dedicated linux box was a 386-16 (probably an SX) with 4
> megs of ram running slackware.  It was far too memory starved and
> took an entire day to install the packages I selected.  (I used a
> parallel port ZIP drive as my install source, back when it would all
> easily fit on a 100MB ZIP disk, which is probably a good thing
> because modems didn't go to 33.6 then)

First linux-only box I had at home was a 486 with 16 megs of RAM, but it
ran Oracle (7.something for SCO) as well as being my router connecting
me to work. Things have changed a bit. It was not long before that that
I spent $300+ for 4 megs of RAM for my Gateway 486...

I am glad that at least prices are a little more sane now. The amount of
RAM required for certain things is entirely out of hand though.

Steve