[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 15:12:34 CST 2006

On 12/30/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD (I think) on a 386/40 with 16 Meg RAM over DIAL-UP with a boot floppy and a 33.3 Modem. Neat that it could be done, but like you, I rarely plaed with it...

My first dedicated linux box was a 386-16 (probably an SX) with 4 megs of
ram running slackware.  It was far too memory starved and took an entire
day to install the packages I selected.  (I used a parallel port ZIP drive as my
install source, back when it would all easily fit on a 100MB ZIP disk, which is
probably a good thing because modems didn't go to 33.6 then)