[rescue] A real hoot... does anyone have one of these

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Dec 18 23:48:48 CST 2006

John Francini wrote:
> It appearts to be the back bulkhead panel to some smallish DEC
> machine, probable vintage early 80s.

indeed... that is exactly what it is.... will fit on PDP-11/73, PDP-11/83,
and PDP-11/93 in BA23 chassis.

> The panel on the left is a combination CPU self-test state indictor
> (the two 7-segment displays), a rotary baud rate controller, and an
> RS-232 port (for the console terminal).

yup, console status/terminal bulkhead.
> The left-center one may be a bulkhead for an external disk -- there
> was a flat cable that was used to connect to some MSCP disk drives
> that used a connector like that, if I recall correctly.

dunno there... likes kinda like IEEE488 (GPIB)... at least I think so
(of course
I'm going by memory by the one ISA IEEE488 card I inherited at one point
and never did anything with).  I know DEC did have a QBUS IEEE488 card
for PDP11 so could be one of those ?

> The two right-hand panels are RS-232 ports, probably intended to
> connect to a pair of DZQ11 4-port terminal cards.

I'd agree
> The bottom right connector is an AUI (15-pin) Thick Ethernet connector.

DELQA bulkhead connector/cable (which is what the part # in the title of
the auction is for).

> The whole bloody system this goes to isn't worth that kind of money,
> except as maybe a museum piece.

And I'd guess not even as a museum piece.  The /73, /83, and /93 (amongst
other BA23 'cased' systems) are not that rare...  maybe I should see if he'd
trade for my doubly big, double high one :-)  Mine must be worth at
least $2000 :-)... which would put my whole system/expansion chassis worth
around $25000 to $30000 I'd think... but if anyone here wants it, I'll
sell it
to listers for $10000... any takers :-) ?

-- Curt