[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Dec 4 10:19:18 CST 2006

Mon, 04 Dec 2006 @ 06:30 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> Aaron Finley wrote:
> > I've never understood people who buy old, power hungry hardware to actually
> > *use*.
>
> Not all of us can afford to buy the latest and greatest.  It's hard to
> run everything on the bleeding edge when your discretionary budget is 0.

Yep.

Certain people's disbelief notwithstanding, Sun equipment with a lot of
processing and I/O power is not cheap.

If you want to avoid the PC servers, then you get an older Sun that
isn't as efficient in wattage/work ratios.

It's often easier to pay a few extra $/month in power for an older Sun
server than it is to drop thousands on a new server, and you get to keep
your geek conscience a little more clear.

What sucks is when you are in a position where you need more processing
and I/O power, but can't afford a newer Sun. A PC server is often your
only pragmatic alternative.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]